This professional development (PD) workshop consists of two sessions that will focus on understanding and implementing evidence-based reading comprehension practices for students with word reading difficulties.
This webinar will address secondary consequences of word-level reading disabilities (reading comprehension and background knowledge) and the implementation of two high-impact reading comprehension practices with information texts:
Main idea generation:
• Why is it important for students to generate main ideas while reading information texts?
• Why is main idea generation so challenging for struggling readers?
• How can teachers provide evidence-based, main idea instruction?
Explicit vocabulary instruction:
• Why is it important to teach vocabulary prior to reading information text?
• How do teachers decide (a) which words to teach and (b) how many words to teach?
• What is the best way to teach new words?